We are often asked how to best preserve the handmade items our customers have created. At The Woolery, we believe that each item you’ve lovingly crafted deserves the finest care – ordinary dish soap simply won’t do! We recommend wool washes that are formulated especially to care for these delicate items. Not only will your finished projects last longer, but you’ll be surprised at how easy and inexpensive it is to properly care for them!
When selecting a wool wash, be sure to look for ingredients that condition and soften fibers naturally – a good example is the lanolin-enriched formula from Eucalan. Harsh additives and dyes (such as you would find in Woolite) damage fibers, so you’ll want a formula that is free of phosphates, ammonia, and other chemicals, too. Finally, a no-rinse formula will not only save water, it will also save wear and tear on your handmade treasures!
We prefer the biodegradable, earth-friendly formulas from both Eucalan and Unicorn Fibre Wash. Each of these wool washes softens fibers, prevents static, and features other benefits such as naturally antibacterial essential oils, all in a no-rinse formula. In the video below, Deb Robson (coauthor of The Fleece and Fiber Sourcebook) explains the benefits of using a dedicated wool wash to care for breed-specific wools:
Now that you know why proper care is important, we’ll show you how to care for your finished projects! You can watch the short video tutorial from Eucalan below, or follow these simple instructions:
1. Fill a small basin with tepid water and add the recommended amount of your preferred wool wash.
2. Place the item into the water, gently squeezing with your hands a few times to make sure the soap and water is soaked through.
3. Allow garment to sit for about 30 minutes, then remove garment and remove excess water by squeezing gently.
4. Lay a dry towel on the floor and place the garment on top of it, then roll it up to remove excess moisture.
5. Lay item on flat surface to dry.
Join Us for the 12 Fiber Toys of Christmas
It’s Toy Season! This Friday, we’ll be featuring a new favorite fiber toy with a special deal and a chance to win that particular toy (tool) – click here for more details!
Chris, Nancy, and the entire Woolery team!